close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Public Works

Public Works Department

The Public Works Department is responsible for the Town water and sewer systems, the water and wastewater treatment plants, street maintenance, refuse collection, recreation and parks maintenance, and public grounds keeping.

Routine Business: 410-754-8173    7 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Water Quality Reports

Water Quality Report 2021
Water/Sewer Emergency

Maintenance Supervisor: Keith Wheatley
Water & Sewer Supervisor: Sumner Hoback 

Assistance with Your Utility Bill

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a new program providing benefits for water and wastewater costs for low-income households experiencing hardship with their water bills. LIHWAP will assist Maryland families who are behind on their drinking water and wastewater bills focusing on arrearage accounts that are 30 days or more past due.,days%20or%20more%20past%20due.  A paper copy of the application is available here.  

Trash Collection

Special trash receptacles are required. To obtain the proper receptacle, residents must complete a form, which may be obtained and returned to the Town Office. Public Works will deliver one can to each property at no charge. Trash will be picked up curbside every Thursday, so have your cans at curb Wednesday evening. If your collection day falls on a Town Holiday, your trash will be collected on the following day.

Extra Garbage Collection

Grass and leaves must be placed in separate bags and set beside the trash cans, not in trash cans, and will be picked up on Extra Garbage Day, which is the first and third Tuesday of each month. Limbs must be no larger than 4 feet long and 4 inches round. No pulled up shrubs or stumps will be accepted.

Large bulk items may be picked on the first and third Tuesday. Tickets may be purchased at the Town Office for $10.00 each no later than the Monday prior to pick up. No item will be picked up with out a ticket. If you are unsure whether an item requires a ticket, contact the town hall or visit the website at

Mosquito Control

The town is sprayed for mosquito control during the months of July through September by the Caroline County Public Works Department.

Note Regarding Trash Collection

These items must be taken to a Hazardous Material disposal facility; oil based paints, paint thinner, turpentine, wood preservatives, wood strippers, gasoline, gas/oil mixes, fuels, acids, cleaners, solvents, automotive fluids, bleach, ammonia, pool chemicals, dark room chemicals, household and lawn and garden pesticides, insecticides and herbicides. Latex paint cans should be disposed of on Extra Garbage Day Only. They must be completely dry and the lids removed. If there is wet paint remaining in the can, add kitty liter to the can before disposal.

Landfill on Old Denton Road

Hours of operations are Wednesday 10 am to 6 pm and Saturday 8 am to 4 pm. Accepted items at this site: household trash, up to 4 passenger vehicle tires (off rims), furniture, white goods (i.e., refrigerators) motor oil, antifreeze, cardboard, and small quantities of scrap metal.

You must have a Caroline County Sticker in order to use this facility. Forms are available at the Town Hall for submittal to the Caroline County Dept. of Public Works, who issues a calendar year sticker. For more information, call 410-479-0520.

Lawn Maintenance:

Property owners are required to cut, trim or otherwise remove all grass, weeds, brush or plant growth in excess of six inches. “Weeds” shall be defined as all grasses, annual plants and vegetation other than trees and shrubs (excluding cultivated flowers and gardens).

Snow Removal:

If it’s snowing and snowplows are out, stay off the roads. Do not park vehicles on snow emergency routes. All residents must clear their sidewalks within 24 hours after the snow stops falling. When shoveling sidewalks and/or driveways, do not throw the snow into the street.


If a street light is out in your neighborhood, contact the Town Office at 410-754-8173 or report the problem on Delmarva Power's website. Please identify the location of the pole and the pole number, if available. The Town Office will contact the electric company and have the light repaired. The power company has advised us that it usually takes two weeks from the notification date to make repairs. If the light is not repaired with the two week time frame, call the Town Office again and someone will follow-up with the electric company.

Recycling bins are located at the Morris Avenue parking lot. The following items are acceptable: newspapers, books, magazines, glass, plastic, and cardboard. All cardboard must be broken down. NO HOUSEHOLD TRASH IS ACCEPTED IN THESE BINS AND VIOLATORS WILL BE FINED.